Civilian to Marine Corps Officer

CIVILIAN TO MARINE CORPS OFFICER

I am "Paying it Forward." I have been blessed with dedicated and knowledgeable male and female marines. If I can help ONE marine be more prepared for OCS, then my blog has served its purpose.

---A special thanks to the Phoenix OSO office for the extra effort to bring in a female OCS graduate to pre-OCS. To get an idea, I have been training for nearly a year, and have only met ONE FEMALE LT, Lt. Howe. In preparing me physically, thanks to the Lts. who took the lead during PT, and to my fellow candidates who pushed me, ALWAYS! Last but not least, thanks to Lucero and Smith; words can't express the gratitude I have for both of you, girls.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Military Sock Bun.....in less than 3 minutes!

There are numerous ways to style long hair for females, in the military. Based on my experience and observations, the sock bun is my favorite style! This look is classy, and super fast to do. This is similar to the "chignon bun," but it is cheaper and usually looks better.

Items needed:
1       long sock (try to find a sock that is similar in color to your hair)
3       Hair ties (same as hair color)
2-3   Bobby-pins (same as hair color)-- This will depend on the length of the bangs.
         Aussie hair spray
         Hair gel
         Thick bristled brush
         Comb (or something to divide the the hair)


Step 1: Making the sock bun
Acquire a long sock that is similar in color to hair color. My hair is dark brown; so I will be using a black sock. CUT the toe part of the sock off. Roll the cut end of the sock into itself until it looks like a doughnut. The size of the sock bun will also determine the size of your bun, pretty obvious. Thus if you like smaller buns, cut the sock father away from the toe and vise-versa. I prefer the full look, so I cut my sock really close to the toe. (I've been told soaking the bun and letting it dry will hold the form of the bun better) 

Step 2: Part and Ponytail 
Best results are received when hair is wet if you have curly hair like I do. But! When I dry and straighten my hair it still comes out looking nice, it's just a little harder to do. 

Spray hair all over with gel and hairspray. Make a part to separate the front part of the hair. It's personal preference which side you pick. I prefer the left side, as everything in the Marine Corps is on the left side. Comb both sides of part. Spray a little more hairspray. It is also personal preference how far back the part goes. I like my part about 1.5 to 2 inches long. Then brush the rest of the hair, behind the part, back. Tie a tight ponytail. (You want the ponytail to be pretty low, so it doesn't interfere with you cover)


Step 3: Sock Bun!
Pull the hair,  in the ponytail, through the sock bun. With your chin to chest, help the hair cover the sock bun evenly. Place a hair tie around your wrist. With both hands, pull the hair tight around the sock bun. Put the hair tie between your head and the sock bun . It should look like a hair doughnut, with hair coming out like a flower behind the bun.

 

FLOWER: Make sure the hair falls evenly around the sock bun to ensure an even twist. 




Step 4: Spray, Twist, Tie
You're almost done! To help prevent fly-aways, spray more hairspray, around the flower part of your hair. Starting at the top part, begin to twist the hair into each other around the bun. Try to make this as tight as possible.

 

Some females prefer bobby-pins 
to the hair tie approach, 
to finish the job.






Once all the hair is twisted, take another hair tie or bobby pin to keep the twist in place. Now step back and admire its beauty :) Thank you, Lucero, for the sock bun and guidance. GOOD LUCK ON THE DOs!


PS. This is only the
THIRD time I have 
EVER 
done this hair style. 



Pretty fool proof!



5 comments:

  1. that last picture is creepy, it looks like the back of MY neck....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, candidate, you are very motivated! Great job on the blog. I am the author of http://usmcocs.wordpress.com/ and would like to invite you to use the above as a guest post on my blog. I will give the link and recommend any female candidates subscribe to your blog. Let me know if you'd like the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is so helpful! I hope OCC is going well for you right now! I was sorry to hear that some of the female candidates got send home after the initial PFT, and I hope you're still there!

    I am applying for OCC-208 and hope to follow in your footsteps! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is awesome!!! Thank you! My husband was accepted to OCC 208 and I'm going to use your packing list as guide. I look forward to ANY further posts or insights you may have on OCS and TBS.

    ReplyDelete